Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pasta i Olio

This is the most requested side dish for my family. A super easy dish that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters!

I am Italian and Portuguese, but I grew up knowing my Italian side. This dish I learned long ago from watching my grandmother make it. Of course every one's grandma was or is the best cook right!!? Mine was too! If you knew my grandpa, he was very picky, but this dish was one he didn't complain about! There all all different versions out there in blog land and beyond but, this is how my family enjoys it.

Basically it is just pasta (any kind)
extra virgin olive oil
butter
garlic
salt and pepper (to taste)
Parmesan cheese
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Start with boiling water
and add salt and then pasta. After pasta is cooked , keep 1 cup of the pasta water and drain rest in colander.

Return pan to stove and add olive oil, butter and garlic.


saute garlic just for about a minute then add pasta and the 1 cup pasta water.


Add your salt, pepper, cheese, and crushed pepper flakes. Adding the flakes give it a little kick, but you can leave it out, and it is still yummy!!  Enjoy!!


oxox Kristine

9 comments:

  1. Yumm! Love this! I make it as a side quite often with meats that don't have a sauce or gravy. It's delicious and takes just minutes, once the pasta is cooked. I'm getting so hungry just looking at your pics! LOL I almost want to go in to the kitchen and make some right now. :~) Stopping by from Miz Helen's and newly following you. Have a great weekend! ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary! And for following!! I'll swing by and check your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristine,
    This is one of my favorite ways to eat pasta, great recipe! Hope you have a great holiday week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy - my favorite dish to order at Italian restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seasoned pasta. The only problem is I could eat the whole bowl. Thanks for linking up to Titus 2 Tuesday on Cornerstone Confessions.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorraine MitchellMay 28, 2012 at 7:00 AM

    Krissey, You are truly amazing. This gives me a great idea for dinner tonight. Can't wait to see what you do next. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite pasta dish growing up in Italy....made differently from yours but same idea. It should be spelled pasta e olio (e means "and" so it's pasta and oil). Thanks for sharing this great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morena! Was not sure how to spell it. (I'm American Itailan) LOL!!!

      Delete
  8. You had me at pasta! This is a family staple at our house - sometimes we add chicken.

    It's midnight here - cursing you for making me raid the fridge! Wish I had a heaping plate of this right now!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...